We invite you to join us in our adventures with our little one: watching her grow and discover.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Discovery...

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about how we found out that we are pregnant. He encouraged me to blog the story for everyone to read. So, here is the story of how we discovered that we are having a baby.

On November 4th Jennifer had an appointment to have an ultrasound. I normally don't go to doctors appointments with her, but I knew the location of this particular lab since I had been there once before. So, I drove her and was prepared, with book in hand, to sit in the waiting room.

Jennifer had been in with the doctor for a few minutes when a nurse came out and began speaking with the receptionist. I could overhear them speaking about Jennifer, but I couldn't understand what all they were saying (they were talking in low whispers – in Portuguese). They both looked over at me and asked if I was Jennifer's husband. I nodded and they motioned for me to follow them to where Jennifer was. This made me a little nervous. I was thinking that they found something wrong with her. She had taken a pregnancy test a couple of weeks earlier that came back negative. Being pregnant was the last thing on my mind (it doesn't help that I am pessimistic about health issues most of the time). I walked into the room that Jennifer was in and she said, "I just thought you would want to see your baby!" I was in shock! I couldn't believe it! I sat next to her and watched as the doctor pointed the baby out to us on a monitor.

During the exam, instead of finding something wrong with Jennifer, they had found an "embrịozinho" (little embryo)! Right off the bat we were blessed to see our baby Рonly about the size of a pea at that point; and hear its little heartbeat! It was an amazing way to find out that we were going to be parents. Needless to say, the rest of that day was pretty exciting. We were on an emotional high unlike any other and I don't expect that we'll come down any time soon.

No comments: