We invite you to join us in our adventures with our little one: watching her grow and discover.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Foz do Iguaçu Vacation - Part II

Sorry it has taken a few days for me to get back into the updates of our vacation to Foz do Iguaçu. Although there is internet access at the hotel we have had full days and are pretty exhausted by the time they are over. That is my simple explanation for those of you who have been waiting for an update - sorry.


Let me start off by saying that I was taking note as to how I would like to post about our adventure and I think that this will actually end up being a 7-PART POST!!! Dun-dun-dunnnnn! If you are entertained just a little by my ramblings and the pictures then it is well worth it. Here we go for "Foz do Iguaçu Vacation - Part II"...

Seeing the Waterfalls - the Brazilian Side (Day 4):

This is the event that we have been waiting for! Mother's Day is here... and we are spending it checking out the largest chain of waterfalls in the entire world! There are 275 waterfalls at this spot and I have read that there can be up to 350 in the rainy season. The falls descend about 250 feet off the cliffs to the rocky bottom below.

On this tour we entered the Brazilian side of the National Park which is only a few kilometers away from our hotel. Once we went inside we had to catch a bus that stopped at different trail heads where you could hike a well-paved path or do some other exciting activity (more to come on that). We wanted to get a good look at the falls on this day so we elected to do a popular hike to get the best view we could. Let me say that we were not disappointed! This was a day that will forever be imprinted on my mind. I was absolutely amazed at the wonder and power of these waterfalls. There is nothing like them on the planet.

Here are a few pictures and a video clip from our day touring the Brazilian side of the waterfalls. Keep in mind that as you view these pictures and the video you are looking from Brazil over to Argentina. Those waterfalls are on Argentina soil! Pretty cool!

Here we are at the entrance to the "National Park of Iguaçu".

This is the first glimpse that we got of the waterfalls at the beginning of the trail.

This is a pretty good shot of "Devil's Throat" off in the distance. The rainbows (bottom right) were pretty easy to spot, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Alexandre, Ana Luisa, Dani and me (with Elisa on my back) walking down the path.

What a spectacular view! I think you can see another rainbow in this shot on the far right.

Jennifer & Dani at the base of the waterfalls on the Brazilian side.

This is such an amazing scene. The center of this picture is "Devil's Throat" or "Garganta do Diabo". It is breath-taking in person!

All the photos in this post (with the exception of the ones that have Jennifer in them) were taken by Jennifer. She did an awesome job of capturing these amazing waterfalls!




No comments: